Mark, have a look here:

http://javawebparts.sourceforge.net/javadocs/javawebparts/filter/CharacterEncodingFilter.html

Just added that to JWP last weekend :)  It essentially calls
request.setCharacterEncoding() with whatever you configure.

(Oops... ignore the description of the encodingScheme parameter... just
realized I have a cut-and-paste error in the javadoc.  D'oh!).

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect