From: Greg Monroe [mailto:greg.mon...@dukece.com]
Sent: den 4 mars 2010 15:25
To: 'Apache Torque Users List'
Subject: RE: Can I use torque over ssh?

All true... but remember that interaction with an SQL Server (regardless
of the method) is generally net traffic intensive.  Using a method like
this has two possible "gotchas".

First, the added complexity may cause communication problems.  SQL Servers
are not built around handling frequently dropping packets/clients.  Your
code will need to do a lot of transaction protection and you will need to
be prepared to clear out deadlocks created by clients dropping.

Also, distance and SSH are both going to add some lag factors.  So don't
expect the normal SQL rapid response.  Make sure all your users are
aware of this too.

Bottom line, IMHO, this is probably OK for something that just retrieves
a little bit of data... with a nice stable network connection and users
who don't mind lag/variable response times.  But I wouldn't build a
fully interactive app that allows data modification, etc with it.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.