So, I upgraded to DBCP 1.3 and Commons Pool 1.5  (essentially the latest)
and there was  an enormous performance increase.  (with a decreased number
of required connections).

I'm thinking there were some thread contention issues in DBCP/Pool that got
resolved.  I looked through a bug list, which mentions a number of
synchronization related items but couldn't find anything specific that was
related.

I'll also look into the abandoned pool issue. I saw a note about that in the
DBCP docs

Thanks, WILL