You might handle this by defining fields which allow null to be optional in
your XML.  E.g., tag not in XML = NULL / tag exists and is empty = "".  I think
the XML parsers can differentiate between these with some extra code.

FYI - You might want to take a look at:

http://torque-addons.sourceforge.net/XML-Import-Export/index.html

This is some code I wrote a while back to support import/export of data into
one of my systems.  I've also used it as a basis for some REST services I
added.

DukeCE Privacy Statement:
strictly prohibited.