> B) Current toybox should, yes. Older ones had the API wrong:
>

>   https://github.com/landley/toybox/commit/3d64b0cc95c5

My toybox build is from April (https://github.com/d4rken/toybox/tree/sdmaid
).
But if %u and %g is used I think it doesn't try lookup in /etc/ anyways,
right?

(...)

Which came from the kernel.

That makes sense, so there isn't really anything to be done from this end.
Should have looked more into the toybox code.
Sorry for the false alarm and thanks for the insights guys!

If I can ever reproduce this on a device I have access to, I'll open a
ticket on the AOSP bugtracker.