I understand completely the problem of depreciation with the AS/400s. I have an AS/400 sitting in the corner of my office that was $115,000 about 4 years ago and I can't give it away. But PCs are not much different. We have over 100 PCs at my office that have to be replaced after 3-4 years because they are unable to run the latest and greatest software available from our vendors. The OS is not the major problem, its the application vendors, always upgrading to take advantage of the lastest power base out there.

Don't tell me that Linux can run on old computers, I know this. But in the business world your choice of software is not always a choice, and if your vendor doesn't support Linux yet, you have to be "current" for the latest version. And I'm not talking about Microsoft Office, or Lotus 123, or such, I'm talking about major software investments into application software designed for certain systems. In my case, working for a bank, I'm talking Teller systems, loan document processing, and other such software. Software requiring an initial investment of $50,000 or more.

As for bugginess of "our" AS/400 software, it depends on the vendor (as it does in the PC world). For the most part our software is quite bug free and the few bugs that do happen are quickly resolved and do not reappear. But, we do have a vendor that does have buggy software and we are shopping for replacement software.

As for the mind set of older programs, I agree with you. Even I catch myself being more "top down" programming now and then. They say it is harder for established programmers, use to top down programming, to move to OOP systems. I think I am making it slowly.

Benjamin Story wrote:

The biggest thing holding back Linux in the enterprise when it comes
to replacing big iron is that it's biggest proponent also sells the
AS/400s that cost $50,000 and are worth $5,000 once you open the crate
(I'm not exagerating much on this, our accountants hate the
depreciation on our AS/400).

Our shop is 99.999% COBOL and RPG(no not D&D).  One thing that irks me
about this fact is that the programs running on the AS/400 are
generally buggier than even Microsoft code because (no offense to the
older programmers on this list), most of the COBOL coders are set in
the mindset of how programming was done 20 years ago.  Error handling?
Oh you mean having a 24/7 computer operator to tell the program to
ignore bad data when it crashes because of it.  A good modern
programmer with COBOL knowledge can be pretty well set in the job
market right now.