>From what I've read, MythTV is a better PVR software package.  I've
installed it on my machine, and its pretty slick.  You can just add the
MythTV repository to your apt-get, and get everything you need. (there are
a lot of dependencies, if I remember correctly.)

Your machine may not be fast enough, or have enough memory to be able to
get high-quality full-featured PVR capabilities.  For example, you may not
be able to do all of the "live" TV functions, and you may not be able to
record at the best resolutions.

Also, All-In-Wonder cards don't have the best support in the PVR software
packages, from what I understand.

But, MythTV has all the PVR functionality, plus weather, mp3 playing, cd
playing, game system emulator interfact, etc.  Its pretty nice.

Later,
-Jim

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Chad Tatro [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:21:09 -0600
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [tslug] Linux PVR

I have a system at home that I'm considering setting up as a Personal Video
Recorder (PVR) to record shows off of DirecTV or local channels if I need to
"tape" something.  Of course, I don't want to spend any more money either.
:-)

I've looked some at the Freevo project, but have not yet attempted anything.

Some of my system specs are as follows:
CPU:  AMD 900MHz (Thunderbird)
Video Card:  ATI All-in-wonder 32 MB AGP (Rage 128)
RAM:  384 MB
Hard Drive:  Only 6 GB now :-)  I know I need some better storage space if I
get serious about this.  I have another 6 GB available right now.
Notes:  Also have a CD burner available.  (Currently in another system but
could be moved).  No DVD burner.
Current OS:  RedHat Linux 9.0

I'm curious about any experience any of you have with setting up a PVR box.
It would be nice to eventually have something with a guide and live pausing,
but right now I'm just looking for recording (timer recording).

What tips and/or suggestions do you have?

BTW, I hope to someday set up one that can record in HD, but right now my
video card doesn't support that and I only have a handful of HD channels
anyway.

Thanks,
Chad