When I used Debian on my computer I always found dselect to be a bother and started using apt-get exclusively. This was back in the day when woody had just been released. So long long ago.

My opinion is that you shouldn't mix default testing and unstable. At the KDE website they have packages for KDE 3.1.5 for Debian stable, seems like you should be able to find unofficial up-to-date packages for Mozilla and other popular pieces of software as well. Not that I know where to look. You could just run unstable, but my understanding is that your computer is lucky to be running at all. Might as well not push it.

Hmm. I check my mail at 2:50 in the morning and all of the new mail is from TSLUG. That must mean we're just cool.

Nathaniel Green wrote:
So. I installed Debian (twice) and have been messing with apt and dselect. I am very very good at getting into dependency trouble because I would like to be able to get some apps (eg: mozilla) from at least testing and maybe unstable. So, I set up my sources.list to have all the appropriate entries and then I set up (pin) preferences so that stable is default, then testing, then unstable.

My question is this - is dselect compatible with this sort of setup in any way? If I try to install anything (it seems) using dselect, I get a dependency conflict that it can't resolve automatically, and that is a couple screens long - making it difficult/time-consuming for me to resolve.

I like dselect in general, but I can't figure out how to use it in this environment. Anybody tried this?

Thanks for reading,
Nate