Woo TSLUG.

Mixing them seemed like the right thing to do, to maintain the ability
to get security updates - Debian only maintains security patches for the
stable version.

I agree w/ you about dpackage at this point.  Bleh.

I agree that it is possible to find the packages for Debian stable (eg:
backports.org) but this seems like a hack, and seems also to defeat the
ease of apt.

My solution at the moment is to only use apt.  It seems to be going
alright.  I'm mixing all three versions at my leisure. Woo indeed.
Nate