Since I didn't think about all those people who needed Java for pipeline (why does pipeline need java anyway?), I forgot to get it installed for those people who got Fedora at InstallFest. I just did it on my personal machine and it was a bit of a hassle, so I wrote up a newbie-friendly guide to getting Java running in Mozilla with Fedora Core 1.

This works for Java version 1.4.2_03 and Mozilla version 1.4.1, but if you change the version numbers where appropriate, everything should work. This should work similarly with other distributions, by finding their own path to Mozilla and such.

1. Go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html and find the table labeled "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_03".

2. You'll want to click the "DOWNLOAD" link under "JRE". Accept the user agreement to continue.

3. Under "Linux Platform" you should click "RPM in self-extracting file" and save that file to your home directory.

4. Open up a terminal and become root, supplying the correct password.
--
$ su
Password:

5. Navigate to the directory containing your newly downloaded file (it should be your home directory (/home/username/) if you followed my instructions).

6. Make the bin file executable.
--
# chmod +x j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin
--

7. Execute the bin file.
--
# ./j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586-rpm.bin
--

8. Run through the agreement by tapping the space bar until you get to then end, and when it asks you if you accept, type yes and hit enter.

9. That bin file placed an RPM file into the current directory, so you'll need to use rpm to install it.
--
# rpm -i j2re-1_4_2_03-linux-i586.rpm
--

10. This installs Java on your system, and places it in the /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/ directory.

11. You'll need to navigate to your Global Mozilla plugins folder (it didn't work for me if I just went to my profile plugins folder) and create a system link to the gcc-built version of the Java Plugin.
--
# cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins/
# ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

12. Close all Mozilla windows and then open up Mozilla again, and type 'about:plugins' into the location bar. Verify that the Java Plugin is listed. It's pretty huge -- you shouldn't miss it.

~Mike