> Ruby is an awesome programming language entirely built upon the
> concept of objects. While I just was astounded and excited when learning
> Perl (because of its many features OO concepts...

How disappointing. Perl certainly doesn't limit it's usefullness only to the
Object-oriented elite. IMHO, that makes Perl rock even more than Ruby.

Oh, and if you like some of that cool Ruby goodness, well, you can always just
install Simon Cozens' Rubyisms.pm module from CPAN.

See http://search.cpan.org/~simon/rubyisms-1.0/

And from http://search.cpan.org/src/SIMON/rubyisms-1.0/README we see...

NAME
    rubyisms - Steal some features from Ruby

SYNOPSIS
      package Foo;
      use rubyisms;
      sub initialize {             # We inherit a new from class Class
        self->{foo} = "bar";       # And we have a receiver, self
        __private_stuff(1,2,3,4);
      }

     sub __private_stuff {
        self->{things} = [ @_ ];   # self is still around
        self->another_method;
     }

     sub my_method {
        if ($interesting) { ... }
        else { super }             # Dispatch to superclass
     }

     sub array_iterator (&@) {
        yield() for @_;
     }

     array_iterator { print $_[0], "\n" } ("Hello", "World");
..

Hehe. Perl *rocks*. Ruby just *wishes* it could rock this hard. And wait 'til
Parrot/Ponie/Perl6 is out.

Oh, and Simon implemented *ALL* of the above in a mere 90 lines of Perl code.

If you _really_ want to learn about OO and even more ways in which Perl makes OO
easy where other languages "hit the wall" (e.g. closures and multiple
inheritance in Java), then you should get Damian Conway's book Object-Oriented
Perl (ISBN 1884777791 - http://www.manning.com/Conway/ ). Unbelievably lucid,
and it's no mistake that he used Perl to demonstrate these OO concepts.

The "eat-your-brain" explanation of Perl's "tie" feature is excellent.

He discusses multiple inheritance, data inheritance vs. interface inheritance,
closures, functions as objects, truly private data members, inheritance by
composition, and explores some of the dark corners of Perl's "tie" facility,
re-blessing objects, and more.

Mike/