Well, from everything I've seen/heard most people do actually say it fsssk. Sure, it stands for the File System Checker, but why say something long like "FS-Check" when fsssk is so much faster. Also, most, if not all, of the examples you give are spelled out when said, eg. Bee Bee Bee, Pee Bee Kay, &c. Eff Ess Cee Kay just don't have a good ring to it, or so it seems to me.

Free Software Club is only four syllables and is perfectly easy to pronounce and IMHO clearly states the realm of the organization's interest.

Yes, it is an actual command, so people who have experience with UNIX like operating systems will know what it means. But what about the beginner who's only used KDE/GNOME? Or the prospective user who hasn't a clue about the low level stuff like that? So, it's not "inside" as in "about 10 people," but it is in terms of the whole population.

The concept of a File System Checker is exactly the same as the chkdsk(Check Disk) or scandisk that most Windows users are used to...remember, we're about introducing them to new alternatives... We want them "in on it."

See my notes above. Fsssk doesn't have any vowels in it, really. The Ss are just a soft sound seperating the beginning of the word from the hard stop of the K.

This obsession with pronouncing it by the acronym is mind-boggling to me... I'm pretty sure the "Sig Taus" don't ever say call them STG or try to stay "stugh" for it. The Beta Beta Beta organization mentioned by Iosif goes by "Tri-Beta" similarly to Sigma Sigma Sigma... Only Tau Kappa Epsilon has a remotely pronounceable abbreviation. Plenty of Truman organizations get along fine just using their full name...

The way I see this issue has to do with the image that we, as a group, portray. If I, as person knowing a lot about this knowledge domain, saw a group called FSCK, I would have a reaction along the lines of, "Funny, but fairly juvenile." And personally, thats not an image I want associated with myself or a group I'm involved in.

That's personal opinion...most of us don't want to be associated with a country run by a guy like Bush, but that's life. As someone who gets the joke, you should be positive and think it's funny and not be negative because there's a chance others wouldn't.

This is a valid point, though I fail to see what being a "big kid" has to do with it... However, consider this scenario: You're in an interview, talking about your school experience. FSCK is brought up. You go off talking about it, and accidently refer to it as "FSCK." Yes, a silly slipup, but given that this would be how you had thought of it for the past four or so years, understandable. The interviewer says, "Excuse me!" You don't get the job. In short, even if you don't put it on your resume, it may very well come up in any number of ways. And if it comes up, you're again faced with the trouble of explaining what the fsck "FSCK" is.

First of all, I (and Iosif) have already stated that the club could go by the full name of Free Software Club (in Kirksville). Even if it were to come up in an interview, would you not refer to it once by that full name and then use a prounoun or phrase such as (the club) in the interest of brevity.

So, in short, we could more than likely make it work as Free Software Club in/of Kirksville (FSCK) but there should be serious discussion of it.

ITS Web Integration      VP, Truman ACM/IEEE

660.785.5218             660.785.4414

[EMAIL PROTECTED]          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        [EMAIL PROTECTED]