On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 09:39:11AM -0500, Jay Belanger wrote:
> Even though it can be argued that it would then be misread, using this
> as a replacement for the dreaded f-word is a standard thing to do, and
> it has already been pointed out that this would be a way to thumb our
> noses at the university.  The double meaning here, I think, is
> intentional, and as someone else pointed out, is juvenile.
> The (intentional?) double meaning here would get out (I don't think
> it'd be too much of an in-joke for long), and given that geeks have a
> juvenile enough image as it is, I don't think this would be helping
> matters.

I think the _intentional_ double meaning here is the
reference to an essential Unix/Linux command, in essence
referring back to our Linux history.

That it has some level of shock value is of secondary benefit.
Outside of the SlashDot/Linux community, I don't regularly see
fsck as a euphemism for an expletive.  I expect f*ck is more
common, or even [EMAIL PROTECTED] (as sometimes seen in cartoons)

I expect, like other things, the shock will wear away.  Then it
will be merely the abbreviation of the Free Software Club.  The
intentional geek-joke about Unix/Linux will survive.

Don

--
Don Bindner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>