On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 11:11 -0700, venkatbo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Since flup is not *available* for some reason, Im looking to evaluating
> lighttpd as a simple proxy to TG, based on the steps in:
>   http://www.turbogears.org/preview/docs/deployment/lighttpd.html#proxy
>
> Could anyone tell me what the limitations are to this approach as
> compared to the SCGI/WSGI method in:
>   http://www.turbogears.org/preview/docs/deployment/lighttpd.html#proxy
>
> Also in the SCGI/WSGI method, there is a reference to the statement:
>   "This method will not work with the standard visit model..."
> Could anyone explain what the "standard visit model" is... Googled
> around, but couldn't get any more info for this context.

I'd recommend not using Lighty for this purpose.  Take a look at Pound
instead:

http://www.apsis.ch/pound/

What I typically do is run both Lighty and TG behind the Pound proxy,
with TG serving dynamic content and Lighty serving everything that's
under /static.

An example pound.conf might look like:

ListenHTTP
    Address    your.external.ip.address
    Port       80
    Err500     "/etc/pound/err500.html"
    Err503     "/etc/pound/err503.html"
    HeadRemove "(X-Forwarded-For|X-SSL-Connect)"

    Service
        HeadRequire "Host: .*\.yourdomain\.com.*"
        Url "/(static|images|css|javascript|flash)/.*"
        BackEnd
            Address 127.0.0.1
            Port    8080
        End
    End
    Service
        HeadRequire "Host: .*\.?yourdomain\.com.*"
        BackEnd
            Address 127.0.0.1
            Port    8081
        End
    End
End

Then setup Lighty to run on port 8080 and your TurboGears app to run on
8081 and you're set.

Regards,
Cliff