I tried updating and rebuilding U-Boot today, I see that since
abd315a1357ab05e82f0d61ebad666bc0d5378c3
"tools/env: use host build flags"

I now have a fw_printenv built to run on my build host. useless.

I read the discussion on the list and I appreciate that Mike may
find problems packaging for weird and wonderful systems.

But I don't understand why a patch was allowed to go in, or stay
in, that produces counterintuitive unhelpful results by default
for most users.

It's not like the concept of CROSS_COMPILE has been removed from
the entirety of U-Boot. U-Boot itself is still correctly built
for my target. If I'm not wrong, "HOSTCC" is the compiler that
should be used to build things to run on your build host. I can't
see how that is possibly appropriate for tools/env.

fw_printenv can only ever run on the target; if that is the host,
then CROSS_COMPILE would be empty and it would be build correctly.

For my purposes I think I will just shake my head and revert the
Makefile locally. But I hope somebody thinks carefuly before any
more changes like this.

Whatever the changes that get made, things like this should still
be built for the correct targets by default. That seems like a
no-brainer to me.

Sorry this email is mostly a whine. Sometimes I send patches.

--
Jon Povey
jon.po...@racelogic.co.uk

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719
.
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks,
MK18 1TB .

The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by
Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is
directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you
have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from
your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the
error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The
views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily
represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right
to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network