Subject:        [Ubuntu-manual] Next steps
Date:   Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:00:19 -0500
From:   Kevin Godby <***>

Hello, everyone.

First, I want to congratulate everyone on the release of Getting
Started with Ubuntu 12.04 and thank all of you for your hard work!

Next, I've had a number of questions about what we're doing next. I
wanted to address a few of those topics in this email.

TRANSLATING GETTING STARTED WITH UBUNTU 12.04

I've generated the translation template file for Getting Started with
Ubuntu 12.04 and have uploaded it to Launchpad. It's currently in the
import queue pending review. Once it's been reviewed, I'm going to
have Hannie and John take a look at it to make sure it looks okay.
(There was a warning during the creation of the template file and I
want to run a couple tests to ensure that everything works okay.)
Once we've verified that everything looks good, I'll email the list
again to let our eager translators know that they can get started.

SOFTWARE CENTER

I've submitted Getting Started with Ubuntu 12.04 to be included in the
Software Center (for free, of course).  It's currently in the queue to
be reviewed by the Application Review Board. We were a day late for
their most recent meeting, so we'll have to wait for their next
meeting to heard their comments and/or verdict.  I'll keep you posted
on this process as I hear more.

PUBLICITY

I've posted a note to our Facebook page about the release of the new
manual. I've also added a note to the prep page of the Ubuntu Weekly
News, so they may include it as well.  I haven't contacted any other
press yet. If anyone would like to do so, please feel free. If you do
contact someone, please notify the mailing list as well so that we
don't all end up contacting the same organizations.

REFLECTION

I'm going to start a new thread on the mailing list for people to post
their thoughts and reflections of how things went during this release
cycle. What worked well, what didn't work so well, what we should try
to change for future cycles, etc.  I'd also like to hold a meeting
soon (perhaps this coming weekend) to discuss this further.

GETTING STARTED WITH UBUNTU 12.10

Later this week I will create a quantal branch. I'll notify the
mailing list once this is done. Then we can start gathering
information about the new version of Ubuntu and continue making edits
and corrections to the manual.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out with Getting Started with
Ubuntu 12.04. I hope you'll join us in making Getting Started with
Ubuntu 12.10 even better than previous editions!

—Kevin Godby