I have uploaded "Unattended 4.0 Release Candidate 1" to:

  http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/unattended-4.0rc1.tar.gz

  http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/unattended-4.0rc1-dosboot.tar.gz

  http://unattended.sourceforge.net/testing/unattended-4.0rc1-linuxboot.tar.gz

Download unattended-4.0rc1.tar.gz (the main distribution), plus one of
either -dosboot (formerly known as -images) or -linuxboot.  Or just
download all three.

The main distribution contains the basic structure, as always.

The -dosboot archive, as usual, will populate the "bootdisk"
directory.  I would like to rename that directory to "dosboot", but
renaming directories under CVS is very painful.

The -linuxboot archive will populate the "linuxboot" directory with a
.iso image and a tftpboot/ directory, as well as adding a "linuxaux"
directory under the "install" directory.

Obviously, you need to refresh your install share from the install
directory.  I have not even tried the updated install.pl under DOS...
I figure, what's the worst that could happen?

Many thanks to everyone who provided early testing and feedback.
Special thanks to Shad for having the patience to continuously test
things even though they were totally broken 90% of the time.

This is it, folks!  Please try it out and let us know how it goes.

Preliminary NEWS.txt entry is appended.

 - Pat

** Changes in version 4.0 (2004-???-??)

Major changes to the boot disk in this release.  You will need to
refresh pretty much everything.  On the DOS side, we have switched to
using FreeDOS for the boot disk.  We also have a new experimental
Linux boot disk based on Linux.  We expect to support both
indefinitely.

Many changes to install.pl to support running under Linux.

Use a 4000M FAT32 partition instead of a 2000M FAT16 partition for
initial installation partition.

Use FreeDOS himem64.exe instead of himem.sys as XMS provider.  Loads
of fun.

Update to FreeDOS FORMAT 0.91m.  Use its new "/a" switch, modelled
after the same switch in Microsoft's OFORMAT tool (see
<http://google.com/search?q=oformat+site%3Amicrosoft.com>).  This
aligns the FAT clusters to a 4k boundary, so after NTFS conversion the
cluster size will be 4k instead of 512 bytes.

Changes to free up more conventional memory.  Bundle umbpci.sys and
load it in config.sys.  Load ifshlp.sys into high memory.  Invoke
umb.com in autoexec.bat.

Rearrange bootdisk/tftpboot to make more sense.

(DOS) Add support for 3com 3c94x/3c2000 family of gigabit adapters.

Avoid hard links in distribution because DOS extractors cannot handle
them (creating zero-length files).

Add "--remote" switch to shutdown.pl.

Use %SystemDrive% instead of C: in todo.pl.  Thanks to Andrew Clark.

Add usual round of Windows updates.