Hagen Muench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This would really be nice. One time, we tried out to boot from memory
> stick. We didn't solved this problem yet.

I have read you need a fairly sophisticated BIOS, and that such BIOSes
are often buggy.  But it would be fun to try just the same.

> | With all the possible network and hard disk drivers, I think it is
> | important for any Linux-based approach to use a modular kernel and to
> | separate the "initial boot" disk from the "driver modules" disk, much
> | like any Linux installer does.
>
> It's already a plan to modularize it.

Well, I am getting interested enough that I plan to play with it this
weekend.  The 2.6 kernel seems to have some facilities which simply
autodetecting hardware and loading drivers (e.g., sysfs, improved
hotplug/coldplug infrastructure).  I am still doing research, though.

> At the beginnig of 2002 we tried out the dosemu stuff. But dosemu
> couldn't start the winnt.exe. This was an issue at this time. Maybe
> this is fixed yet (does anybody knows?).

It was fixed during the summer of 2002:

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?m=102765548220451

(Read the thread for details...  The fixes made it into the Linux
kernel and dosemu shortly thereafter.)

Between Linux, dosemu, and FreeDOS, I believe we can provide a
completely free infrastructure for installing Windows, which is a very
pleasing concept :-).

 - Pat