Tyler Hepworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Is it possible to boot from, map a drive to, and install from DVD.
> I have branch offices overseas that I would like to ship a disk to,
> rather than trying to set up servers at each site.

In theory, yes.  In practice, I know of nobody who has tried it.

Unattended treats the Z:\ drive as read-only at all times.  Your
strategy would be:

  - Burn the install share and the bootdisk to DVD.

  - Arrange to map the DVD as Z:\ using the DOS (or Linux) boot disk.

  - Set the [_meta]/z_drive value in Z:\site\unattend.txt to "D:", or
    wherever the DVD appears under Windows.  (This will set the %Z%
    variable which all of the installation scripts use to locate
    stuff.)

  - Modify mapznrun.bat not to map the drive if %Z% is already
    available.  Oh, wait, I already did this :-).

Seriously, I have had something like this in the back of my mind from
the beginning.  Everything should "just work" once you get past the
initial hurdles.

I just did some reading about DVDs.  If I understand correctly, a
bootable DVD is very similar to a bootable CD; you can just use a
basic ISO-9660 file system and ISOLINUX to boot.  This is good news.

I just did some more reading.  There may be some subtleties involving
long file names.  Joliet extensions, Rock Ridge extensions, ISO-9660
"level 2", UDF...  Whatever.  You need to create a DVD which is
basically ISO-9660 so ISOLINUX can read it, and it also needs to be
readable by both DOS (or Linux) and Windows.  I suspect the Joliet
extensions would be sufficient.

This actually sounds like a fairly small but interesting project.  I
wish I had a DVD burner.  How soon do you need this, and how much time
do you have to spend on it?

 - Pat