On 26 Mar 2017, at 16:45, Asmus Freytag <asm...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> The priority in encoding has to be with allowing distinctions in modern
> texts, or distinctions that matter to modern users of historic writing
> systems. Beyond that, theoretical analysis of typographical evolution can
> give some interesting insight, but I would be in the camp that does not
> accord them a status as primary rationale for encoding decisions.

Our rationales are NOT ranked in the way you suggest. A variety of criteria are
applied.

> Thus, critical need for contrasting use of the glyph distinctions would have
> to be established before it makes sense to discuss this further.

Precedent for such needs is well-established. Consider the Latin Extended-D
block. Sometimes it is editorial preference, and that’s not even always
universal.

> I see no principled objection to having a font choice result in a noticeable
> or structural glyph variation for only a few elements of an alphabet. We have
> handle-a vs. bowl-a as well as hook-g vs. loop-g in Latin, and fonts
> routinely select one or the other.

Well, Asmus, we encode a and ɑ as well as g and ɡ and ᵹ. And we do not consider
ɑ and ɡ and ᵹ to be things that ought to be distinguished by variation
selectors. (I am of course well aware of IPA usage.) Whole-font switching is
well understood. But character origin has always been taken into account.
Consider 2EBC ⺼ CJK RADICAL MEAT and 2E9D ⺝ CJK RADICAL MOON which are
apparently really supposed to have identical glyphs, though we use an
old-fashioned style in the charts for the former. (Yes, I am of course aware
that there are other reasons for distinguishing these, but as far as glyphs go,
even our standard distinguishes them artificially.)

> (It is only for usage outside normal text that the distinction between these
> forms matters).

What’s “normal” text? “Normal” text in Latin probably doesn’t use the
characters from the Latin Extended-D block.

> While the Deseret forms are motivated by their pronunciation, I'm not
> necessarily convinced that the distinction has any practical significance
> that is in any way different than similar differences in derivation (e.g. for
> long s-s or long-s-z for German esszett).

One practical consequence of changing the chart glyphs now, for instance, would
be that it would invalidate every existing Deseret font. Adding new characters
would not.

> In fact, it would seem that if a Deseret text was encoded in one of the two
> systems, changing to a different font would have the attractive property of
> preserving the content of the text (while not preserving the appearance).

Changing to a different font in order to change one or two glyphs is a
mechanism that we have actually rejected many times in the past. We have
encoded variant and alternate characters for many scripts.

> This, in a nutshell, is the criterion for making something a font difference
> vs. an encoding distinction.

Character identity is not defined by any single criterion. Moreover, in
Deseret, it is not the case that all texts which contain the diphthong /juː/ or
/ɔɪ/ write it using EW 𐐧 or OI 𐐦. Many write them as Y + U 𐐏𐐋 and O + I 𐐄𐐆. So
the choice is one of *spelling*, and spelling has always been a primary
criterion for such decisions.

>> This is complicated by combining characters mostly identified by glyph, and
>> the fact that while ä and aͤ may be the same character across time, there
>> are people wanting to distinguish them in the same text today, and in both
>> cases             the theoretical falls to the practical. In this case,
>> there are no combining character issues and there's nobody needing to use
>> the two forms in the same text.
>
> huh?

He’s wrong there, as I pointed out. A text in German may write an older
Clavieruͤbung in a citation alongside the normal spelling Klavierübung. The
choice of spelling is key.

Michael Everson