On 27 Mar 2017, at 14:49, Michael Everson <ever...@evertype.com> wrote:

>> 3) Font features (e.g. 1855 vs. 1859) to select shapes in the same font
>
> Font trickery. Not portable. Not supported by most apps.

I wouldn’t describe it as “trickery” or “not portable”.  Features like
stylistic alternates are part of the OpenType specification, and actually have
quite widespread support in Mac software (check out the Typography panel, which
you can get to from the system Font Panel).  On Windows and Linux, support is
more limited, though software that uses the newer DirectWrite or Pango APIs to
render text should find it straightforward enough.

I don’t know how this bears on the discussion about Deseret (that’s outside my
area of expertise), but as a software developer I’d certainly *prefer* to see
font features used (rather than, say, assigning a new code point or using
variation selectors) where the primary difference is in the rendering rather
than the meaning.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--