On 15 May 2017, at 23:16, Shawn Steele via Unicode <unicode@unicode.org> wrote:

> I’m not sure how the discussion of “which is better” relates to the
> discussion of ill-formed UTF-8 at all.

It doesn’t, which is a point I made in my original reply to Henry.  The only
reason I answered his anti-UTF-16 rant at all was to point out that some of us
don’t think UTF-16 is a mistake, and in fact can see various benefits
(*particularly* as an in-memory representation).

> And to the last, saying “you cannot process UTF-16 without handling
> surrogates” seems to me to be the equivalent of saying “you cannot process
> UTF-8 without handling lead & trail bytes”.  That’s how the respective
> encodings work.

Quite.

Kind regards,

Alastair.