But will there really be a new era name with the new emperor? All that
could be made is a preservation by principle, but this does not mean that
it will be really encoded. The lack of a "representative glyph" is a
blocker.

May be we could add instead a generic character for "New Japanese Era"
(independant of the actual era) to be used in contexts where the precise
era will not be available.
The alternative would be to write the new era name using Kanas (or Latin)
before the composed Kanji appears. I don't think it will block the
localisation in CLDR even if it is later changed to use a newer prefered
Kanji when it will be available.

Anyway the names of possible successors are probably already known: how do
they currently write their name using Kanjis or composed Kanas in a square
? These existing characters may also be used as a substitute, and I think
this will be the solution used at least in the first months/years, even if
there's a new honorific glyph adopted for the Emperor name