On yesterday's "This Week in Tech<http://www.twit.tv/254>" (TWiT) podcast with
Leo Laporte (Wiki: http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_254), Kevin Rose of
Digg<http://digg.com/> fame was a guest.  He gave a public preview of the new
Digg 4; it looks very nice and should be released in the next month or two.
He also mentioned that Digg 4 is using Cassandra and that it is an Apache Open
Source project.  He mentioned Twitter and how the Twitter and Digg engineers
have been working closely on Cassandra related issues.  There was a passing
reference to Digg also working with Facebook engineers, but I could be wrong on
that point.

On a related but separate note: While I am fairly new to Cassandra and have
only been following the mailing lists for a few months, the conversation with
Kevin Rose on TWiT made me curious if the versions of Cassandra that Digg,
Twitter, and Facebook are using may end up being forks of the Apache project or
old versions.  As the Apache Cassandra project moves forward with new features,
are these large and very public installations of Cassandra going to be able to
continue contributing patches and features and/or accept patches and features
from the Apache project?  While most recent commits appear to come from Eric
Evans and Jonathan Ellis, the
committers<http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Committers> list for Cassandra does
include, among many others, Facebook, Twitter, and Digg.

My apology if anyone feels this is an inappropriate post to this list.

Todd