Hi Jonathan, yes, when I say 'node encryption' I mean inter-Cassandra node
encryption. When I say 'client encryption' I mean encrypted traffic from
the Cassandra nodes to the clients. For these benchmarks we used the stress
test client load generator.

We ran test with no encryption, then with 'node only' and then again with
both node and client encryption.

Looking at the post again right now I realize that I never mention the
client encryption technique.  My mistake.  We just used OpenVPN. We set it
up on the client stress test machine and set up individual VPNs to each
Cassandra node in the cluster.

I tired to make it clear in my post where the performance gains
were coming from. Didn't mean to confuse anyone. That said, if you're
running in a public cloud and you want to encrypt, you've got to tackle the
client traffic encryption problem as well so it seemed like performance
gains that most could expect.

CM