From: "Jason J. W. Williams" <jasonjwwilli...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, June 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM
To: "user@cassandra.apache.org" <user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Understanding when Cassandra drops expired time series data

Hey Jeff,

Do most of those behaviors apply to TWCS too?

-J

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:25 PM, Jeff Jirsa <jeff.ji...@crowdstrike.com> wrote:

First, DTCS in 2.0.15 has some weird behaviors -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9572 .

That said, some other general notes:

Data deleted by TTL isn’t the same as issuing a delete – each expiring cell
internally has a ttl/timestamp at which it will be converted into a tombstone.
There is no tombstone added to the memtable, or flushed to disk – it just
treats the expired cells as tombstones once they’re past that timestamp.

Cassandra’s getFullyExpiredSSTables() will consider a table fully expired if
(and only if) all cells within that table are expired (current time > max
timestamp ) AND the sstable timestamps don’t overlap with others that aren’t
fully expired. Björn talks about this in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-8243 - the intent here is so
that explicit deletes (which do create tombstones) won’t be GC’d  from an
otherwise fully expired sstable if they’re covering data in a more recent
sstable – without this check, we could accidentally bring dead data back to
life. In an append only time series workload this would be unusual, but not
impossible.

Unfortunately, read repairs (foreground/blocking, if you write with CL < ALL
and read with CL > ONE) will cause cells written with old timestamps to be
written into the newly flushed sstables, which creates sstables with wide gaps
between minTimestamp and maxTimestamp (you could have a read repair pull data
that is 23 hours old into a new sstable, and now that one sstable spans 23
hours, and isn’t fully expired until the oldest data is 47 hours old). There’s
an open ticket (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10496 ) meant
to make this behavior ‘better’ in the future by splitting those old
read-repaired cells from the newly flushed sstables.

I gave a talk on a lot of this behavior last year at Summit
(http://www.slideshare.net/JeffJirsa1/cassandra-summit-2015-real-world-dtcs-for-operators
 ) - if you’re running time series in production on DTCS, it’s worth a glance.