Hi Aoi,

> since few weeks
> ago, all of the cluster nodes are hitting avg. 15-20 cpu load.
> These nodes are running on VMs(VMware vSphere) that have 8vcpu
> (1core/socket)-16 vRAM.(JVM options : -Xms8G -Xmx8G -Xmn800M)

I take my chance, a few ideas / questions below:

   - What Cassandra version are you running?
   - How is your GC doing?
      - Run something like: grep "GC" /var/log/cassandra/system.log
      - If you have a lot of long CMS pauses you might not be keeping
      things in the new gen long enough: Xmn800M looks too small to me, it has
      been a default but I never saw a case where this setting worked
better than
      a higher value (let's say 2G), also tenuring threshold gives better
      results if set a bit higher than default (let's say 16). Those
options are
      in cassandra-env.sh.
   - Do you have other warnings or errors? Anything about tombstones or
   compacting wide rows incrementally?
   - What compaction strategy are you using
   - How many concurrent compactors do you use (if you have 8 cores, this
   value should probably be between 2 and 6, 4 is a good starting point)
   - If your compaction is not fast enough and disk are doing fine,
   consider increasing the compaction throughput from default 16 to 32 or 64
   Mbps to mitigate the impact of the point above.
   - Do you use compression ? What kind ?
   - Did the request count increased recently? Do you consider adding
   capacity or do you think you're hitting a new bug / issue that is worth it
   investigating / solving?
   - Are you using default configuration? What did you change?

No matter what you try, do it as much as possible on one canary node first,
and incrementally (one change at the time - using NEWHEAP = 2GB +
tenuringThreshold = 16 would be one change, it makes sense to move those 2
values together)

> I have enabled a auto repair service on opscenter and it's running behind

Also when did you do that, starting repairs? Repair is an expensive
operation, consuming a lot of resources that is often needed, but that is
hard to tune correctly. Are you sure you have enough CPU power to handle
the load + repairs?

Some other comments probably not directly related:

> I also realized that my cluster isn't well balanced

Well you cluster looks balanced to me 7 GB isn't that far from 11 GB. To
have a more accurate information, use 'nodetool status mykeyspace'. This
way ownership will be displayed, replacing (?) by ownership (xx %). Total
ownership = 300 % in your case (RF=3)

> I am running 6 nodes vnode cluster with DSE 4.8.1, and since few weeks
> ago, all of the cluster nodes are hitting avg. 15-20 cpu load.

By the way, from
https://docs.datastax.com/en/datastax_enterprise/4.8/datastax_enterprise/RNdse.html
:

"Warning: DataStax does not recommend 4.8.1 or 4.8.2 versions for
production, see warning. Use 4.8.3 instead.".

I am not sure what happened there but I would move to 4.8.3+ asap, datastax
people know their products and I don't like this kind of orange and bold
warnings :-).

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - al...@thelastpickle.com
France