There is a disconnect between write.3 and write.4, but it can only affect
performance, not consistency. The presence or absence of a row's txnUUID in
the IncompleteTransactions table is the ultimate source of truth, and rows
whose txnUUID are not null will be checked against that truth in the read
path.

And yes, it is a good point, failures with this model will accumulate and
degrade performance if you never clear out old failed transactions. The
tables we have that use this generally use TTLs so we don't really care as
long as irrecoverable transaction failures are very rare.

Thanks,
Cody