We currently use redis to store sorted sets that we increment many, many times
more than we read. For example, only about 5% of these sets are ever read. We
are getting to the point where redis is becoming difficult to scale (currently
at >20 nodes).

We've started using cassandra for other things, and now we are experimenting to
see if having a similar 'sorted set' data structure is feasible in cassandra.
My approach so far is:

  1.  Use a counter CF to store the values I want to sort by
  2.  Periodically read in all key/values in the counter CF and sort in the
client application (~every five minutes or so)
  3.  Write back to a different CF with the ordered keys I care about

Does this seem crazy? Is there a simpler way to do this in cassandra?