LWT != Last Write Wins.  They are totally different.

LWTs give you (assuming you also read at SERIAL) “atomic consistency”, meaning
you are able to perform operations atomically and in isolation.  That’s the
safety blanket everyone wants but is extremely expensive, especially in
Cassandra.  The lightweight part, btw, may be a little optimistic, especially
if a key is under contention.  With regard to the “last write” part you’re
asking about - w/ LWT Cassandra provides the timestamp and manages it as part
of the ballot, and it always is increasing.  See
org.apache.cassandra.service.ClientState#getTimestampForPaxos.  From the code:

 * Returns a timestamp suitable for paxos given the timestamp of the last known
commit (or in progress update).
 * Paxos ensures that the timestamp it uses for commits respects the serial
order of those commits. It does so
 * by having each replica reject any proposal whose timestamp is not strictly
greater than the last proposal it
 * accepted. So in practice, which timestamp we use for a given proposal
doesn't affect correctness but it does
 * affect the chance of making progress (if we pick a timestamp lower than what
has been proposed before, our
 * new proposal will just get rejected).

Effectively paxos removes the ability to use custom timestamps and addresses
clock variance by rejecting ballots with timestamps less than what was last
seen.  You can learn more by reading through the other comments and code in
that file.

Last write wins is a free for all that guarantees you *nothing* except the
timestamp is used as a tiebreaker.  Here we acknowledge things like the speed
of light as being a real problem that isn’t going away anytime soon.  This
problem is sometimes addressed with event sourcing rather than mutating in
place.

Hope this helps.

Jon