Hi,

> but it's so easy to add nodes

Apache Cassandra has some kind of magic pieces ;-). Sometimes it is dark
magic though :p. Yet adding a node is indeed not harder when using
NetworkTopologyStrategy, as Jon mentioned above, once the configuration is
done once properly.

> Number of keys (estimate): 442779640
>
> Number of keys (estimate): 736380940
>
> Number of keys (estimate): 451097313

This is indeed possibly, and most certainly creating imbalances. But also
look at the partition size when using 'nodetool cfstats', using the
have an idea how much the disk space used is imbalanced. If you would like
more details on the partition size distribution, partition size percentile
are available using 'nodetool cfhistograms'.

Regarding the global load (CPU, GC, disk IO, etc), it also depends on the
workload (ie, what partitions are being read).

*Should I use nodetool rebuild?*

No, I see no reason. This command, 'nodetool rebuild' is meant to be used
when adding a new datacenter to the cluster. Which, by the way, will not
happen as long as you are using the 'SimpleStrategy', that basically
creates one big ring and consider all the nodes as being part of it, no
matter their placement in the network, if I remember correctly.

The nodetool repair by default in this C* version is incremental and since
> the repair is run in all nodes in different hours

Incremental repairs are quite new to me. But I heard they bring some
issues, often due to anti-compactions inducing a high number of SSTables
and a growing number of compactions pending. But it does not look bad in
your case.

Yet the '-pr' option should not be used when doing incremental repairs.
This thread mentions it and is probably worth reading:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nosql-databases/peTArLfhXMU. Also I
believe it is mentioned in the video about repairs from Alexander I shared
in my last mail.

and I don't want snapshots that's why I'm cleaning twice a day (not sure
> that with -pr a snapshot is created).

So the option using snapshots is not '-pr', but '-seq' (sequential) or
'-par' (parallel), more info:
https://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/3.0/cassandra/tools/toolsRepair.html

If you want to keep using sequential repairs, then you could check the
snpashots automaticly generated names, and aim at deleting them
specifically to prevent you from removing an other manually created and
possibly important snapshot.

I'm using garbagecollect to force the cleanup since I'm running out of
> space.

Oh that's a whole topic. These blogposts should hopefully be helpful:

- thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/07/27/about-deletes-and-tombstones.html (From
myself, how to handle tombstones)
- http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2016/12/08/TWCS-part1.html (From Alexander,
a coworker @TLP - TWCS and expiring tables)

Hopefully some information picked from those 2 blog posts might help you
freeing some disk space.

It is probably not needed to use 'garbagecollect' as a routine operation.
Some tuning in the compaction strategy or options (using defaults
currently) might be enough to solve the issue.

Yet the data is not correctly distributed. Something in the data model
design is inducing it. The primary key (hashed) is what is used to affect
the data to a specific node. Also a variable partition size can also lead
to hotspots.

As a side note, I strongly believe that understanding internals is very
important to operate Apache Cassandra correctly, I mean playing with it to
learn can put you in some undesirable situations. That's why I keep
mentioning some blog posts, talks or documentations that I think could be
helpful to know Apache Cassandra internals and processes a bit more.

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com