Hi

We were trying to overcome OOM crashes.

Fair enough :-).

We changed settings to default on one node. GC times became about two times
> smaller on that node.

That's encouraging! Looks like even if the number of tables is really high,
there is still space for optimization. Have you made the change on the
entire cluster by now? How are things going?

Also you can continue to play around with a canary node to find the sweet
spot, the right tuning for your use case and hardware. Taking a day to do
this is sometimes very worth it ;-).

Number of sstables is not constant. During about 2.5 hours number of tables
> was changed for 26 tables, e.g. [4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4] => [6, 6,
> 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6] or [4, 7, 7, 7, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4] => [4, 4, 4, 4,
> 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4] (each list is number of sstables on each of 10 nodes for
> one table).
> Number of sstables is balanced for almost all tables. But for some tables
> number of sstables is not really balanced, like [11, 2, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2,
> 2, 5] or [439, 558, 346, 521, 490, 553, 500, 515, 522, 495]

Sounds like reasonable numbers of SSTables. Imbalances are not that big. I
would say compaction is running normally

 We run incremental repairs

 We use LCS for all tables and MVs. We don't do manual compactions (or
> trigger any anti-compactions)

If you run incremental repairs, it means you trigger anti-compactions.
Actually the first repair might completely have produce the increase in the
number of SSTables. If it was not the first time, you might have run into
one of the corner cases still not fixed on incremental repairs.

Also, using LCS for such a high number of tables is probably putting some
pressure on disks. Is it a real need? Would STCS or TWCS not be a better
fit on some of the table? That being said, compactions look good. Are you
seeing pending compactions under standard conditions or on peak hours?

 What number of MemtableFlushWriter are you using?

> We do not specify if, so default is use

https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/cassandra-3.10/conf/cassandra.yaml#L538

So it is 2. If disks IO is not a bottleneck you might want to consider
increasing this number to 4, it should be a safe value. To know if Flush
Writers is an issue, use 'watch -d nodetool tpstats' and see if there are
any 'FlushWriter' pending threads.

One column for each node
> READ:               2609 7   0   0   2   1   2   0   1   1

The only non negligible value is about read being dropped and on only one
node. If this value is not growing anymore, you might have faced a punctual
issue.

This cluster looks relatively healthy excepted for GC activity (that can
explain read drops). I would persevere on GC tuning, continuing to monitor
things you have been sharing with us so far, to see how it evolves. Having
a closer look at repairs impact might be worth it as well. Good luck!

C*heers,
Alain Rodriguez - @arodream - al...@thelastpickle.com
France

http://www.thelastpickle.com