Hi All ,

Need Help !!!

Setup Details:
Cassandra 2.0.14
Geo Red setup

*         DC1 - 3 nodes

*         DC2 - 3 nodes

We were trying to implement multiple network interfaces with Cassandra 2.0.14
After doing all the steps mentioned in DataStax doc
http://docs.datastax.com/en/archived/cassandra/2.0/cassandra/configuration/configMultiNetworks.html,
 we observed that nodes were not able to see each other (checked using nodetool
status).

To resolve this issue, we followed the
comment<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9748?focusedCommentId=14903515&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14903515>
 mentioned in the JIRA :
CASSANDRA-9748<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-9748>

Exact steps that we followed are :
--------------------------------

1.       Stop Cassandra

2.       Add rule to "iptables" to forward all packets on the public interface
to the private interface.

COMMAND: # iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp -d <destination> --dport
7000 -j DNAT --to-destination <to-destination>:7000

3.       In Cassandra.yaml, add property "broadcast_address".

4.       In Cassandra.yaml, change "listen_address" to private IP.

5.       Clear the data from directory "peers".

6.       Change Snitch to GossipingPropertyFileSnitch.

7.       Append following property to the file
"/etc/cassandra/conf/cassandra-env.sh" to purge gossip state.

JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false"

8.       Start Cassandra

9.       After node has been started, remove following property from the file
"/etc/cassandra/conf/cassandra-env.sh" (previously added in step 7)

JVM_OPTS="$JVM_OPTS -Dcassandra.load_ring_state=false"

10.   Delete file "/etc/cassandra/conf/cassandra-topology.properties"

Now We have an observation that after multiple restarts of Cassandra on
multiple nodes, slowness is observed in the cluster.
The problem gets resolved when we revert the steps mentioned above.

Do u think there is any step that can cause the problem ?
We are suspecting Step 2(iptable rule) but not very sure about it.

Regards,
Prakash Chauhan.