Hi Jayesh,

On 25 May 2017, at 18:31, Thakrar, Jayesh wrote:

Hi Jan,

I would suggest looking at using Zookeeper for such a usecase.

thanks - yes, it is an alternative.

Out of curiosity: since both, Zk and C* implement Paxos to enable such kind of thing, why do you think Zookeeper would be a better fit?

Jan

See http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/trunk/recipes.html for some examples.

Zookeeper is used for such purposes in Apache HBase (active master), Apache Kafka (active controller), Apache Hadoop, etc.

Look for the "Leader Election" usecase.
Examples
http://techblog.outbrain.com/2011/07/leader-election-with-zookeeper/
https://www.tutorialspoint.com/zookeeper/zookeeper_leader_election.htm

Its more/new work, but should be an elegant solution.

Hope that helps.
Jayesh