This is in fact an interesting security practice that makes sense. It
assumes the existing ami had security holes that WERE ALREADY exploited.
See if you can negotiate moving the hdfs volumes to persistent storage. Fyi
two major banks I have worked with did much the same, but as the storage
was SAN (with VMware ) I was able to make adjustments to the ansible
scripts (client was providing mobile banking solutions to the bank)

I had another client using AWS, Chef, Terraform. I WAS NOT able to make
this work in Chef. I can do it with Ansible, Terraform, AWS however.

“All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty
recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the
dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with
open eyes, to make it possible.” — T.E. Lawrence

sent from my mobile
Daemeon Reiydelle
skype daemeon.c.m.reiydelle
USA 415.501.0198