Well, I tried the same with "Array2DRowRealMatrix" but it made no difference
at all.

Meanwhile I cloned the CM snapshot and checked the source code. The authors
of the "LUDecomposition" class state that their code "is based on the class
with similar name from the JAMA library" but this seems not the case! The
Jama implementation is quite different -- actually the same as the alternate
(Num. Recipes) implementation I had supplied earlier (and also runs at the
expected speed)!

So, whatever the reason was to abandon the JAMA version, the current Commons
Math implementation is certainly much inferior in terms of performance.
Which is astonishing given the popularity of this method.

Will ask the "dev" mailing list, as suggested ...

Thanks,
Wilhelm