Sjur Moshagen wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Den 19. feb 2013 kl. 16:06 skrev Eric Palmer:
>
> > I'm researching apache cms like projects for a specific project need and I
> > came across Forest.  It seems interesting but the user mailing list has had
> > no updates since 2009 and the forest-dev list shows some svn activity.
> >
> > What is the status of the forest project? Is it still a viable project and
> > is it likely to exist into the near future?
>
> Viability can be hard to define, but as you can see from the mailing lists it
> isn't very active at the moment. That said, there are still a number of
> developers hanging around, and some maintenance work is done from time to
> time. I am myself using forrest quite actively in my daily work, and am quite
> happy with it - thus no big incentive to take on any additional development
> work in addition to my regular tasks. Forrest is one of a number of tools,
> not a development target in itself for me. I like it quite a lot, and it has
> a few unique features I haven't found elsewhere:
>
> * ability to read a number of different input formats (and extend that list
> by writing a simple transform + some configs)
> * a similar ability to produce a number of different output format (likewise
> extendable)
>
> It also allows me to build large and complex sites while at the same time
> keeping the source files as text files instead of storing them in some RDB
> system. This again makes it easy to keep the documentation part of our
> version control system, which is important for our sites.
>
> All in all: forrest does what I need, and thus doesn't get a lot of attention
> development-wise.
>
> Regards,
> Sjur

Very nice answer.

Eric, the project is still operating and ready to respond
whenever someone spurs some activity.

The Apache Software Foundation ensures that there is sufficient
activity in each project. If there was not, then it would have been
moved to the Apache Attic.

Most discussion about the project is encouraged to be on the
"dev" mail list.

This "user" list is for assistance with specific usage issues.

Thanks for your interest, and we hope to see you join us as a "dev".

-David