It seems a bit difficult to me to see which preferences can be set and what
the defaults are.

For example where is a class EmbedderControls which contains some of the
preferences and defaults.

There are more preferences like in ParameterControls, StoryReporterBuilder
and other classes.

What about putting them into a dedicated preferences class(es)? It would
self document what preferences can be configured and it would be easier to
find them.

I am thinking about a class similiar like this:
http://download.eclipse.org/technology/swtbot/helios/dev-build/apidocs/org/eclipse/swtbot/swt/finder/utils/SWTBotPreferences.html

Maybe it could be several classes in the same preferences package
containing all meaningful preferences to be set. The source could be a
property file (like partly in IBM RFT) where the user could see them all in
a central place and change them if he wishes.

Maybe it is not a good idea, I don't know. I just have the impression that
the preferences are a bit hard to find and spread across many places.