Please do not skip versions during upgrades. We have been using a
two-version deprecation cycle, so a protobuf field that existed in 0.22.1
may no longer exist in 0.24.x, meaning that a direct live upgrade could
cause masters and agents to stop communicating with each other. We only
guarantee live upgrades from one version to the next minor version (e.g.
0.22.x->0.23.x), so the recommended procedure is to follow the linked
upgrade guide to upgrade the entire cluster (even the libmesos for
schedulers/executors) to the next version, then repeat the procedure to
upgrade the entire cluster to the following version and so on.
The usual process is to upgrade masters first, then agents, then schedulers
and custom executors.
There may be other caveats listed in the upgrades guide that indicate
deprecated/removed endpoints, formatting/behavior changes, etc.

Now that we've moved to a more monthly release cycle, we will be extending
our deprecation cycle to ~6months/versions, so that you could skip versions
in the future. Once we reach 1.0, we'll have stronger guarantees about
upgrading minor versions within 1.x.