You need to add something like this to your web.xml file:

<jsp-config>
   <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://shale.apache.org/clay</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/lib/shale-clay.jar</taglib-location>
   </taglib>
</jsp-config>

If that doesn't work (i.e., if the JSP engine can't find the tld file within
the JAR file for some reason), pull the TLD file out of the JAR file, place it
somewhere in your WEB-INF directory (perhaps in a subdirectory named "tld", for
example), and put this in your web.xml instead:

<jsp-config>
   <taglib>
      <taglib-uri>http://shale.apache.org/clay</taglib-uri>
      <taglib-location>/WEB-INF/tld/shale-clay.tld</taglib-location>
   </taglib>
</jsp-config>

Note that if you are using more than one tag library, each tag library that you
use needs its own <taglib> entry, and all <taglib> elements must be contained
within a single <jsp-config> (the XML schema validator will reject it if you
have more than one <jsp-config>).

As was already pointed out, the URI's are only unique names, and have no
meaning in terms of where JSP looks for the definitions.

Rich Eggert
Member of Technical Staff
Proteus Technologies, LLC
http://www.proteus-technologies.com