JSF 1.2 introduced @PostConstruct and @PreDestroy annotations (see http://weblogs.java.net/blog/jhook/archive/2007/05/jsf_12_ri_backi.html), which somewhat overlap with Shale's prerender/destroy hooks, but it's still not quite as powerful. Most notably: * @PostConstruct won't get call on every page it's used w/ a session-scoped FB, and * you can't control @PostConstruct execution everytime the FB is instanciated as Shale allows you to w/ <s:subview> does. I'm using JSF 1.2 Mojarra implementation w/ Shale just fine, but I unfortunately can't speak to MyFaces compatibility.

Costa Basil wrote:
I've been successfully using Struts Shale 1.0.3 with MyFaces 1.1.x & Tomhawk 1.1.x. Now I want to upgrade to MyFaces Core 1.2.x which is a JSF 1.2 implementation. Can someone please tell me if JSF 1.2 makes some of features in Struts Shale Core obsolete - for instance the ViewController mechanism? Will Struts Shale work with MyFaces 1.2 seamlessly?
My code is relying heavily on the shale framework (core) - all my managed beans
extend the AbstractViewController class and rely on the ViewController calls made
by the framework to prerender, init & co. I am also using some of the
validation tags.

I didn't dig up the JSF 1.2 documentation but I think I read somewhere that JSF
1.2 offers something similar to the ViewController mechanism.

Thanks

Connect with friends from any web browser - no download required. Try the new
Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA at
http://ca.messenger.yahoo.com/webmessengerpromo.php

--
Cyril Bouteille
VP, Engineering