Hi Greg, what features of Seam do you feel match Shale's VC or Remoting?
I also understand ajax4jsf to be returning only HTML fragments per architecture. We've a lot of Shale Remoting function returning JSON and I'm not sure how we would do that in RichFaces... We do have a couple of outstanding bugs with Shale and unfortunately not much time to contribute :-( , so folks like me will have to migrate to some other framework that's still actively maintained.