It all depends on what you wants. If you really want the DateTool to
follow the user locale, then must use the session scope. Otherwise, you
can keep it in the application scope, and add a 'locale' property:

  <toolbox scope="application">
    <tool key="date"
          class="org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.ComparisonDateTool"
          locale="en_US"/>
  </toolbox>

  Claude