Interestingly, if you don’t even need to add a template to the server
(filesystem) at all with Solr’s VelocityResponseWriter:

http://localhost:8983/solr/select?wt=velocity&v.template=t&v.template.t=template%20from%20thin%20air

;)

But even with /browse, you can override bits and pieces (thanks to Velocity’s
resource loader trickery) of a template (from thin air):

     http://localhost:8983/solr/browse?v.template.header=Solritas!

And maybe more to your liking, you could leverage /browse as-is, and switch the
template, even dynamically (this time you’d save it to the file system or pass
the whole template in as a HTTP parameter like above):

     http://localhost:8983/solr/browse?v.template=test - which will use your
test.vm file.  Your template gets all the data that is presented in /browse
should you choose to render it.

While I love hammers, if all you wanted was Velocity “server pages”, Solr’s
VelocityResponseWriter admittedly is overkill.  *I’d* still do it that way :),
but that’s just me (Mr. VrW).  However, I’m all for your data being in Solr,
and having it be immediately navigable with straightforward Velocity templating
is a real treat!

        Erik