I love how the Velocity list e-mails end up being about Solr ;)

Here are the tools that (Solr 5, a little bit different that previous Solr
versions) has these tools:

context.put("esc", new EscapeTool());
context.put("date", new ComparisonDateTool());
context.put("list", new ListTool());
context.put("math", new MathTool());
context.put("number", new NumberTool());
context.put("sort", new SortTool());
context.put("display", new DisplayTool());
context.put("resource", new SolrVelocityResourceTool(
    request.getCore().getSolrConfig().getResourceLoader().getClassLoader(),
    request.getParams().get(LOCALE)));

LinkTool is not wired in.   There isn’t really a way to add new tools into the
mix without plugging in a new response writer based on Solr’s
VelocityResponseWriter (VrW) or overwriting the built-in one.  But you probably
don’t really need $link, do you?

There’s the $esc tool that allows for URL escaping.  It’s used to $esc.html()
and $esc.url() in the example templates.

Happy to help work through this, and even add the LinkTool if you feel it’d be
helpful (or work through a way to make tools pluggable in VrW).

    Erik (author/maintainer of VrW)

—
Erik Hatcher, Senior Solutions Architect
http://www.lucidworks.com