For anyone getting this error, here is a solution (which worked for me):

The error is something like:
org.jdom.JDOMException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/Text:
org/jdom/Text

The confusing thing is that you DO have the jdom jar available in your
WEB-INF/lib.

The stack trace in my case mentions "jaxen":
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/jdom/Text
        at org.jaxen.jdom.JDOMXPath.<init>(JDOMXPath.java:100)
        at org.jdom.xpath.JaxenXPath.setXPath(JaxenXPath.java:281)
        at org.jdom.xpath.JaxenXPath.<init>(JaxenXPath.java:99)

The issue is that the "jaxen" jar is missing from your webapp but is
available to JBoss (in my case) in a classloader higher up the tree, looking
at jboss/lib. This directory does NOT contain jdom, and this classloader
cannot load jdom from your webapp as it cannot see your WEB-INF/lib.
The solution is to ensure the jaxen jar supplied with XFire is in your
WEB-INF/lib - in my case this is "jaxen-1.1-beta-9.jar"

HTH,

Connor