Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:09 AM
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: [libreoffice-users] Re: latest java update has broken my install of Libre Office.

Tom,

Java based programs on a Windows OS are frustratingly unstable when multiple
Java Runtime Environments are present because of the way program
configurations are pointed to the version of Java to call--registry entries,
user environment variables, system environment variables.

For stability, run with just one JRE--but don't allow it to update until
convenient for you to monitor changes.

You could jump in and immediately uninstall all things Java based (NVDA,
Dolphin, JAB)  and LibreOffice--and clean the registry. And then reinstall
everything so configuration files are correct.

But one simple option for additional troubleshooting  would be to create a
new user account on the computer. Login to it--and test your Java
components. If JAB based utilities run, then check them in LibreOffice.  And
if while using the new account, JAB based programs fail (and they may),  you
probably will need to uninstall and reinstall.   But if all is good for the
new user account, the problem *is* configuration issue for you normal
account, and you will need to dig into your Windows user profile.

An uninstall, reinstall will fix either case but is tedious and error prone
-- so use an uninstaller ( I prefer the VSRevo products with moderate
registry clean-up, the free version is fine for 32-bit, but would need the
Pro for 64-bit--has a modest license fee to use beyond trial period -- find
them here:

freeware 32-bit only  --
http://www.revouninstaller.com/start_freeware_download.html
pro version 32/64 -bit trial  --
http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php )

Then reload these Windows programs in order:
JRE 1.7u5 (this would now be the ONLY Java runtime on the system, with fresh
configuration laid down)
Java Access Bridge (use Jamal Mazrui's JWin installer from
http://empowermentzone.com/JWin.htm )
Dolphin or NVDA (or both) (test that they're working)
LibreOffice 3.5.4  (select the JRE, and activate  Accessibility -- assistive
technology tools)

Obviously once Dolphin or NVDA come off you are likely to need some sighted
assistance with the interface, but it should be brief and by running through
the clean up this way--you will be more likely to have a stable and fully
functioning system as an outcome.

Stuart