 Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] regular expression for calc
 To: users@global.libreoffice.org
 Date: Sunday, 12 March, 2017, 5:51

 At 15:45 11/03/2017 +0000, Gary
 Collins wrote:
 >I have a column each row of which contains a sequence of
 one or more
 >codes separated by a space. In case it will make a
 difference each
 >code consists of a letter (occasionally 2 letters)
 followed by a
 >number of up to 3 digits (and occasionally ends with a
 letter) eg X1
 >Aa12 D7a etc.
 >
 >I want to obtain a regular expression for COUNTIF that
 will enable
 >me to find out how many times a particular code,
 contained in
 >another cell, occurs in the column. I was thinking that
 \b to detect
 >the word boundaries should help but i cant quite get it
 to work; im
 >not sure if this is because it is assuming a word
 boundary between
 >the letter and the number or if it is simply my
 incompetence as
 >usual. Does anyone have an idea what may be the best way
 to achieve this?

 Try
 =COUNTIF(range;"\b"&Xn&"\b")
 - where "range" represents the column of data and Xn
 represents the
 cell containing the code to be counted. Remember that you
 need to
 have Tools | Options... | LibreOffice Calc | Calculate |
 Enable
 regular expressions in formulae ticked (which is the case by
 default).

 I trust this helps.

 Brian Barker

 All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and
 cannot be deleted