Ah, well that didn't work. I can save as xlsx, and it preserves the sheet.
I can then embed it into  a .docx file, but if I save it or "save a copy",
it converts it to an image. Not the behavior one would expect. This really
seems like a bug to me. Saving an embedded object should preserve the type
of embedded object.

Even if I link to the external object it still flattens it to a graphic.
What!? It destroys the link! That is not standard behavior! That is a bug
for sure.
 Does that happen in the latest version of Libre Office? I'm not thrilled
at the idea of pinning to a newer version of Libre Office, but if it fixes
this bug I'd do it.