The hexidecimal unicodes can also be used in Windows with a registry edit:
   Add HKEY_Current_User/Control Panel/Input Method, set EnableHexNumpad to
"1"
   If adding use New > String Value, Type = REG_SZ.

After the registry change
   Press & hold Alt; Press '+' on number pad; enter code; release Alt.

Probably a web search would provide a better explanation.
The main thing is that the same codes can be used on both platforms.